Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I sold my car and left the plates on it. The 1 who bought it ran a redlight & they mailed me a ticket. HELP!!?

I filled out the affidavit of non-responsibility, but they just wrote me a letter stating that it was incomplete. They didn't say what information they lacked, but did say there will be a $25 late fee if I fail to provide this info by the due date. What can I do to avoid having to pay a traffic ticket when I never ran the red light? I gave the persons cell phone number, a print-off of the e-mail they sent me voicing that they wanted to buy my vehicle. I have 2 witnesses that saw him buy the car. Other than that, I'm pretty much out of info. I tried to do a reverse-lookup of his cell phone number to get his address, but could not. Please help, I've run out of options. Thanks for reading.I sold my car and left the plates on it. The 1 who bought it ran a redlight %26amp; they mailed me a ticket. HELP!!?
Take this as a lesson learned...NEVER make a sale to someone without having a receipt, their information, and without taking all your identity information out of the car!! If something was done right during your sale, the title of the car should be transferred to the new owners name, registered, something...but i guess not! Try to take this to court, and have the new driver of the car take responsibility! Do you know the Vin # of the car? This could help in tracking down the owner of the car at the present time, or try calling insurance company's with the cars information to find the new owner. Good Luck, you shouldn't have to pay for someone else's mistake, but it sorta is your fault for being careless and not taking off your license plate and handing them into the DMV.
It is probably his address they want. I can't imagine selling a car to someone without knowing their address.I sold my car and left the plates on it. The 1 who bought it ran a redlight %26amp; they mailed me a ticket. HELP!!?
Go to court, show the bill of sale and tell them to go after the real owner.I sold my car and left the plates on it. The 1 who bought it ran a redlight %26amp; they mailed me a ticket. HELP!!?
Exact same thing happened to me.

I called police station and faxed them a copy of the bill of sale that showed the date of sale was 2 weeks before the person ran a red-light. They then went after the new owner and all was okay.



If you don't have a dated bill of sale or some sale document with the date on it, then you may be liable for the ticket and that will be the cost you pay of a good life lesson.



Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment