Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Small claims court jurisdiction, chance of recovery and possible police involvement?

I recently purchased a LCD monitor from someone on Craigslist in the Philadelphia area. It was advertised (sparesly) on the ad as a 24" monitor. After sending some emails, I also confirmed that it was 1920x1200 resolution which would be full HD. We agreed to meet up half way to complete the transaction. The monitor looked fine and I gave him the agreed upon amount. However, when I returned home, I discovered that the resolution was less than stated and when I took out a tape measure and checked, it was only 22". Needless to say, I feel defrauded (the seller falsely presented the product). I'm not sure where I would go about filing a claim in a small claims court. Where I live? The place where the cash and product switched hands? Where he lives? I feel I have a good chance of winning if I go to court but I have heard of 'buyer beware' clauses in state laws. However, this seems like outright fraud as he misrepresented the product completely and I did not know until it was hooked up to my computer. I will also have to do a reverse cell phone lookup to get his address to serve him with the court date - can I file a police report so this is done by the local police department? I don't trust those online places that claim to do reverse cell phone lookups and then charge you money to view the results.Small claims court jurisdiction, chance of recovery and possible police involvement?
The police can't help you.

You can file small claims in the state you live, the person you bought the computer with did business in your state.

You need to serve them though, you can't get out of that. Perhaps the place that delievered the monitor to you could assist you in finding out where it was sent from.

No comments:

Post a Comment